- March 24, 2020 at 3:18 AM #109481SibaKeymaster
Any Xiaomi phone released after 2016 have locked bootloaders. In order to install LineageOS or TWRP or root your xiaomi phone you need to unlock the bootloader of your phone. In this post I am presenting a step-by-step guide to unlock bootloader of Xiaomi phone.
[su_note note_color=”#F9D9D9″ text_color=”#AA4343″ radius=”3″ class=”” id=””]
Unlocking the bootloader will void the warranty of your device and erase all user data. So, make sure that you are out of the warranty period or you are sure about what you are doing with your device. Also, make sure to backup all important data out of the phone.
What is a Bootloader and why is it locked?
In computing, the startup process of a device is called as boot-up. During this boot-up process, the device is unusable by the user till it boots-up completely.
A boot-loader is a piece of software that loads other software(s) during the boot-up process. In Android this bootloader is locked to make sure no-one can alter what is being loaded by this bootloader.
Usually a user can install a software only after the boot process is complete and when the device is ready to use. So, basically the bootloader software is not something that is meant for the user but to run the device. If not secured, the user may alter the boot-up process leaving the device unusable.
Locking the bootloader ensures that the software integrity of the phone is trusted, meaning it has not been modified from the stock and hence used to provide or discard warranty etc.
Before Unlocking the Bootloader
Once you understand what is the bootloader and want to unlock it on your Xiaomi phone then below are the few things that you need to do first.
- 30% or more battery charge (just to be on the safe side)
- Register for Mi Account (you might have already done it on your phone or you can do it now)
- A Windows PC with internet connection
- Download the MiFlash Unlock Tool (only available for Windows)
Now, How to Unlock bootloader on your Xiaomi Phone?
[su_note note_color=”#FBF4DD” text_color=”#A38C68″ radius=”3″ class=”” id=””]This guide is only for phones released after 2016. If your phone was released before 2016 you have to follow this fastboot bootloader unlock guide.[/su_note]
- First enable Developer Options which is hidden.
[su_note note_color=”#D7E3F4″ text_color=”#728095″ radius=”3″ class=”” id=””]To enable developer options go to Settings > About Phone > Tap 7-8 times on MIUI Version to unlock the developer options[/su_note]
- Then enable the OEM unlocking and USB debugging options which are inside Developer Options settings.
[su_note note_color=”#D7E3F4″ text_color=”#728095″ radius=”3″ class=”” id=””]Go to Settings > Additional Settings > Developer Options scroll down a bit and first enable OEM Unlocking and then scroll a little bit down and enable USB Debugging[/su_note]
- Add your Xiaomi phone to the Mi Unlock Status
[su_note note_color=”#D7E3F4″ text_color=”#728095″ radius=”3″ class=”” id=””]Go to Settings > Additional Settings > Developer Options > Mi Unlock status and add this phone to the Mi account on your phone.
– Make sure you use the same phone number that you are using on the phone.[/su_note]
The Unlock status page will look like the below image when locked and when unlocked –
- Now unzip the MiFlash Unlock tool zip file that you have downloaded earlier (if not download it now and unzip) and run the MiUsbDriver.exe file to install the USB driver required for your Xiaomi phone bootloader unlock.
- Then from the same folder run the miflash_unlock.exe program.
[su_note note_color=”#D7E3F4″ text_color=”#728095″ radius=”3″ class=”” id=””]Read the disclaimer carefully and Agree to the terms and condition to proceed.[/su_note]
- Then sign-in to the Mi account.
[su_note note_color=”#D7E3F4″ text_color=”#728095″ radius=”3″ class=”” id=””]- Enter the mobile number (that is used to register the Xiaomi account on your phone) and then click on the Get verification code button to get a verification code.
– Enter the verification code and then click on the Sign in/Sign up button.[/su_note]
[su_note note_color=”#FBF4DD” text_color=”#A38C68″ radius=”3″ class=”” id=””]There are only 3 attempts allowed in 24 hours of time. So, be careful while using this.[/su_note]
- The tool will verify for the permissions on your Mi account and take you to the next screen where it will ask you to connect the phone to the PC.
- Boot the phone into Fastboot mode and then connect to the PC using a USB cable.
[su_note note_color=”#D7E3F4″ text_color=”#728095″ radius=”3″ class=”” id=””]Here the phone must be in Fastboot mode or otherwise known as bootloader mode.
To boot into the fastboot mode first power off the Xiaomi phone and then press and hold Volume Down and Power button together till you see the fastboot screen on the phone.[/su_note]
- Once connected the Unlock button on the application will be activated. Click on the Unlock button to start the bootloader unlock process of your Xiaomi phone.
The software application may take a while to unlock the bootloader on your Xiaomi phone. If done correctly then your phone will have an unlocked bootloader after few seconds.
Troubleshooting, if Failed to unlock Bootloader
Sometimes the MiFlash Unlock tool shows a failed message only at 99% of processing. or if the tool is not able to detect your phone at all etc. Following could be the reasons to looks at –
- See if you have installed the USB drivers correctly and it does show in the device manager of Windows OS when you connect the phone in fastboot mode
- or See if you have put your phone in Fastboot mode or not while connecting to the PC
- Verify if you have enabled USB debugging and OEM unlock and linked your phone to Mi Unlock status
- Verify if your account has unlock permissions.
- If everything is alright but still it fails, then contact the Xiaomi support team or you can use their forum to seek support on your case.
Well, that’s all on how to unlock bootloader on any Xiaomi phone. If you face any kind of issue while following this guide, then just leave a reply here to get a response back.Like it? You can always subscribe to the Xiaomi Generic forum to get more Xiaomi OEM specific topics.April 2, 2020 at 12:59 AM #110161Linux UserParticipant
Hi I can’t unlock the device, ask me to make factory reset? close wifi but nothing.
aldo the link of unlock mi tool is not working, downloaded from xda different version i think.
thank youApril 2, 2020 at 4:13 AM #110162SibaKeymaster
By default all data will be wiped out on the device. The tool will also warn you before you actually unlock the bootloader.
In fact I have added a screenshot in Step #9 about the same.
Yes, there was a server side issue which broke the download link of the download portal.
You should be able to download the file now.
Make sure you download the latest file only.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.