April 13, 2017 at 9:03 PM #17612shibaa987Moderator
A Motorola phone has its bootloader locked by default. In order to install TWRP recovery or install LineageOS OS or any other custom ROM, the Moto phone’s bootloader must be unlocked. This is very simple step-by-step guide on how to “unlock bootloader on Motorola” Phones.
DOWNLOAD AND REQUIRED LINKS TO UNLOCK BOOTLOADER ON MOTOROLA PHONE:
How to Unlock Bootloader of Motorola Phone?
- Download appropriate USB driver installer from above download links and Install USB drivers for Motorola phone on your PC or MAC.
- Install fastboot utility on your PC or MAC.
– Here is the 15 seconds adb installer and the minimal adb fastboot installer for Windows and here is the fastboot installation guide for MAC and Linux.
- Then go to Motorola website: http://www.motorola.com/unlockbootloader and register or login using Google user details.
- Read and understand the risks involved by unlocking the bootloader on your Motorola Phone and then click on NEXT.
- Put the Motorola phone into Fastboot mode.
First power off the phone, then press the Power and Volume Down buttons simultaneously.
- On your PC, open a command console or a terminal and type the following command:
$ fastboot oem get_unlock_data
Output of the above command may be something like this on Windows:
(bootloader) 0A40040192024205#4C4D3556313230 (bootloader) 30373731363031303332323239#BD00 (bootloader) 8A672BA4746C2CE02328A2AC0C39F95 (bootloader) 1A3E5#1F53280002000000000000000 (bootloader) 0000000
And it would be something like this on a MAC:
INFO0A40040192024205#4C4D3556313230 INFO30373731363031303332323239#BD00 INFO8A672BA4746C2CE02328A2AC0C39F95 INFO1A3E5#1F53280002000000000000000 INFO0000000
- Now you have to copy only the Alpha-Numeric data (including the # or any other symbol in between) by discarding the (bootloader) on Windows output or INFO on MAC output.
So from the above example, you need to extract only the below data:
You can see the above data is in a single line which is basically an appended data of all the above 5 line output. This is bit tricky part if you are a beginner.
To make it simple, Motorola has a Data scrub Tool where you need not to bother of arranging the Console out put data.
You just go to the Scrub Tool web page, copy all the out put from your Console or terminal (Don’t worry for the bootloader and INFO strings, the Data Scrub Tool will discard automatically) and then paste it on the Data Scrub Tool web page and click on Format my data to get the one line sorted data.
- Now, copy the final one line loooong string into the Motorola Bootloader Unlock page and click on Can my device be unlocked?
If your device can be unlocked then Request unlock key button will appear.
- Read the agreement and click on I Agree, after which the Request unlock key button will appear. Click on that button to get the Unlock key.
- The unlock key will be mailed to you on your e-mail Id which you used to register at Motorola site.
- Open you e-mail and copy the Unlock Key and execute the following command on a Command console or a terminal on your PC:
$ fastboot oem unlock UNLOCK_KEY
That’s all for the unlocking bootloader on Moto Phone. Now your Motorola phone’s bootloader should be unlocked. Go ahead and find a custom recovery for your Motorola: TWRP for Moto phone, or a custom ROM to install such as: LineageOS 17.1 for Moto or LineageOS 17 for Moto or LineageOS 16 for Motorola etc.
If you have any concerns or if you are facing some problem after following this guide then just login and reply to this post and rest assured I will try to help you as soon as possible.
? Google Camera APK | Mod APKSeptember 1, 2018 at 11:15 PM #47905fpadarshMember
I pasted the output code of my device(9900051141664250#5A58314634323538475600585431323534000000#C83E955C72F11E25F9235D87D5321789E4C1686A#97207300110000000000000000000000) on motorola website and it says that my device isn’t qualified for unlock.
My device’s network goes off again and again and also the imei. Thus I need to unlock the bootloader to install custom rom. I need to remove this problem.
Please helpSeptember 3, 2018 at 4:36 PM #48098shibaa987Moderator
Which phone is it?
What I have understood from other users is that, if you have a Motorola Device Id linked under settings, it does not allow you to unlock bootloader.
- Remove any Motorola User Id in Settings menu and try once more.
- Verify if you have copied all the unlock string correctly.
- Remove if any fingerprint is assigned.
- If required, clean all data or do a factory reset from phone’s stock recovery.
? Google Camera APK | Mod APKOctober 20, 2018 at 7:31 AM #56653
My device also says it isnt qualified. Because you tried to fix this problem before im guessng there is a way out. Im trying to unlock a MotoE4 and i flipped the “OEM Unlock” switch that supposedly allows bootloader to be unlocked. any fixes?October 27, 2018 at 12:52 AM #57869
Have you tried all the above mentioned things to disable or remove before unlocking bootloader on your Moto E4?
? <a href="https://cyanogenmods.org/google-camera/">GCam APK</a> | <a href="https://cyanogenmods.org/">Mod APK</a>October 27, 2018 at 8:47 AM #57890
Ive done everything except for clearing the data. I cant find any Motorola ID in settings. I guess I will have to try wiping it.October 29, 2018 at 1:07 AM #58043
I cleared the data and it still says it does not qualify for nlocking. Is it just imposible for my phone?February 4, 2019 at 4:24 PM #71932
Can you tell what have you done (everything from start) to unlock the bootloader, so that I can help you in this regard.
? <a href="https://cyanogenmods.org/google-camera/">GCam APK</a> | <a href="https://cyanogenmods.org/">Mod APK</a>March 21, 2019 at 7:04 AM #76261KebekParticipant
Well same problem here, i get this message (Your device does not qualify for bootloader unlocking)
It’s a moto e5 play from verizon, so at first i tried with all my data in the phone then i’ve factory reset it and finally I’ve removed sim card
here is the command line
PS C:\adb> fastboot oem get_unlock_data
(bootloader) Unlock data:
( i didn’t provide my real digits in this post)
also i couldn’t use the $ symbol (<span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>$</span> fastboot oem get_unlock_data) or else i was getting an error so i removed it and then got these digits.
anyone found a way to fix this?March 21, 2019 at 3:38 PM #76342
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.