LineageOS 18 for Galaxy S5 is now available from an unofficial build which is brought to you by Khalvat. LineageOS 18 is the latest build which is based on the Android 11 download.
This post explains how to install LineageOS 18 on Galaxy S5, in a step-by-step guide.
Donation to Developer(s)
LineageOS 18 development and porting is a voluntary work! If you want this project keep going, please contribute to the developer(s) and the LineageOS project.
– No donation link found for Khalvat
– Donate to LineageOS project
This is an initial build of LineageOS 18 for Galaxy S5 which may not boot at all or may have many BUGs. So, backup your current firmware to go back if something goes wrong!
LineageOS 18 Download for Galaxy S5
Below is the direct download link to the latest build of LineageOS 18 for Galaxy S5.
Download this ROM build and follow the instructions (written below) to update the Galaxy S5 to LineageOS 18.
THE DOWNLOAD LINK HAS BEEN REMOVED AS THIS BUILD IS NOT BOOTING AT ALL.
Other Requirements to Install LineageOS 18 on Galaxy S5
To be able to install any Android 11 ROM build on the phone, it must have an unlocked bootloader and a compatible custom recovery installed.
So, to make it easier for you, Relevant guides of unlock bootloader and install recovery are added in the respective sections below.
In addition, the custom ROMs usually lack any Google Apps like: Google Play, Google Maps, etc. out of the box. So, the post installation requirement is, GApps for Android 11.
Galaxy S5 LineageOS 18 System Build Information
I have verified the build for its legitimacy by extracting the LineageOS 18 system image. Below are the data what I have got, which clarifies this to be a valid build for the phone:
ro.build.id=RP1A.200720.009 ro.build.version.release=11 ro.build.date=Sat Sep 26 17:20:11 +0330 2020 ro.build.flavor=lineage_klte-userdebug ro.build.fingerprint=samsung/kltexx/klte:6.0.1/MMB29M/G900FXXU1CRH1:user/release-keys
– THIS IS NOT BOOTING AT ALL
How to Update Galaxy S5 LineageOS 18 (Android 11)?
To install LineageOS 18 on a phone, it must have a custom recovery, which in turn, requires an unlocked bootloader.
This is the reason the entire installation guide is divided into three parts as below:
- Unlock bootloader of Galaxy S5
- Install Custom Recovery on the phone
- Finally, installing LineageOS 18 ROM
Unlock Bootloader on Galaxy S5
Follow this guide to unlock bootloader on Galaxy S5. A step-by step guide that explains how to unlock bootloader of Galaxy S5.The bootloader must be unlocked on the phone before you can flash a custom recovery and the LineageOS 18 ROM!
Install custom recovery on Galaxy S5
Custom recoveries are needed to flash any of these Android custom ROMs on Galaxy S5. Below is a list of step-by step guides that explains how to install custom recovery such as TWRP or OrangeFox recovery on Galaxy S5.
- TWRP for Galaxy S5 – Follow this guide that explains how to Install TWRP using Odin
Install LineageOS 18 on Galaxy S5
- Download the LineageOS 18 ROM for Galaxy S5 and copy it into the phone or keep in the PC, if you intend to install it using ADB sideload.
- Enter into recovery mode (TWRP, Lineage or any other recovery) and then Wipe the data, Cache, System and clean Dalvik cache.
– Make sure you don’t wipe or format Internal memory here. Otherwise you will lose all your phone data!– This step will erase the current firmware and probably all the data stored in the phone. You can choose to keep a backup of all the files and the boot and system partition so that you can rollback if the new build doesn’t work properly.
- Install LineageOS 18 using TWRP recovery or any custom recovery of your choice
Use ADB Sideload to install the LineageOS 18 on Galaxy S5.
You can use any one of the above mentioned method to install the zip file on the phone.
- Once done, reboot the phone to boot into LineageOS 18 on Galaxy S5 which is based on Android 11.
After installing the LineageOS 18 ROM you are good to go with the phone. But, there are few add-on packages that you can install to get the most out of your phone!
Below are some of the extra little things which you can install on top of the LineageOS 18 ROM on your Galaxy S5.
You can either follow this Android 11 Rooting guide or the Magisk rooting guide to enable root on Galaxy S5 LineageOS 18 ROM.
Google Camera or shortened as GCam, usually brings better images on your existing camera setup.
Search a compatible Google Camera in the Android 11 GCam page for your phone that may run on this LineageOS 18 ROM.
That’s all on installing LineageOS 18 on Galaxy S5! If you face any issue, then you can comment below.
Also, visit the Galaxy S5 (klte) page to get other Android 11 ROMs or other device specific topics.