How to Install TWRP recovery Using Odin on Any Samsung Android

GCam Port | Google Camera APK v9.2 (March 2024) Forums Samsung Device Forums Common Samsung Topics How to Install TWRP recovery Using Odin on Any Samsung Android

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Linux User
    Participant

Here is a simple Step By Step guide explaining How to Install TWRP with Odin , on any Samsung Android device.

This guide will only be helpful if you have a TWRP image with extension .tar extension. If you have a .img TWRP image then you can simply flash the twrp-x.x.x-x.-codename.img for your Samsung device using the fastboot and you may SKIP this guide.

Here is How to Install TWRP on any Android Using Fastboot utility.

If you are a beginner to these things like the TWRP or Odin then I will tell you in simple words that the Odin is a flashing utility provided by Samsung itself to flash Samsung proprietary Android FW binaries.

Here we are going to use Odin to flash the TWRP Custom Recovery on a Samsung phone or tablet. Basically TWRP is a customized Android recovery available for many but not all Android devices.

DISCLAIMER:
    Installing TWRP custom recovery may require your Android’s bootloader to be unlocked and may VOID your warranty and may delete all your data. Before proceeding further you may consider backup your all data. You are the only person doing changes to your phone and I cannot be held responsible for the mistakes done by you. Neither the developer nor we can be held responsible for any disaster that happens to your device.

Install TWRP using Odin on Any Samsung Device

Before proceeding to install TWRP on your Samsung phone, if you want to take a backup of your current data then please follow the link for how to backup all the data on your android device:

Step by step guide to take full backup of your phone data

Files Needed to Install TWRP on Samsung Using Odin Flashing Tool:

Make Sure You have already done the below:
    Make sure that you have already downloaded all of the above mentioned files and done the following things:
    – Installed the driver for your phone.
    – Installed the ODIN application on your PC before proceeding further.

In some Samsung phones like: Galaxy Note 5 and Galaxy S6 edge+ you need to enable OEM Unlock option in Developer Options. By default the Developer Options is hidden and you need to enable the Developer Options first. Go to the below link (the link will open in a new window), enable Developer options and come back to this page:
    How To Enable Developer Options

Now when you have enabled the Developer Options, goto the Developer Options and then enable the OEM Unlock option.

How to Install TWRP recovery Using Odin

1. STEP 1:
      Put your phone into download mode.

Press and hold these three buttons until you see a WARNING SCREEN! to enter into the Download mode:
      Volume DOWN key + Power key + Home key

When you see the WARNING SCREEN press the volume UP key to continue into the Download mode.

2. STEP 2:
      Open the ODIN application on your PC. Connect your phone(while it is still in the download mode) to the PC using a USB cable.
      ODIN will show an Added! message on the message box.
      Device Added on ODIN

[Device Added on ODIN]
    3. STEP 3:
      Click on the AP button on the ODIN application and select the twrp-x.x.x-x-codename.img.tar file.

Click on the AP button (PDA in many Odin versions) and select the CWM recovery file

[Click on the AP button and select the CWM recovery file]
    4. STEP 4:
      Select the appropriate options before flashing the recovery image. Make sure only the Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time are checked and all other boxes are un-checked.
      Select the ODIN Options

[Select the ODIN Options]
    5. STEP 5:
      Select the Start button, which will start the flashing process. When you get the PASS message, then your phone will reboot automatically.

Click on Start and wait till it completes

[Click on Start and wait till it completes]

Now your Samsung Device is flashed with the TWRP image and you may disconnect your phone. Here are some more guides using the TWRP recovery:
    How to wipe Android partitions using TWRP
    How to take NANDROID backup using TWRP

If you have any concerns on this then just login to reply on this thread.

Linux User
    Participant

im stuck in a bootloop , i couldnt enter recovery now, what should i do

thanks

Linux User
    Participant

Sorry for replying so late.

Can you send some pic of the error if something you have noticed ?

Linux User
    Participant

Same thing with me. My Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-M919 says RECOVERY BOOTING…. RECOVERY IS NOT SEANDROID ENFORCING

Linux User
    Participant

Edit: It looks like I was trying to put this on the wrong variant of the Samsung Galaxy S4 Active. Mine is an I537.

Odin displays a status result of “FAIL” and on my phone there is a message displayed in red text: “SECURE MAGICCODE CHECK FAIL : recovery”.

This is the log output from Odin:
    <ID:0/005> Added!!
    <ID:0/005> Odin engine v(ID:3.1203)..
    <ID:0/005> File analysis..
    <ID:0/005> SetupConnection..
    <ID:0/005> Initialzation..
    <ID:0/005> Get PIT for mapping..
    <ID:0/005> Firmware update start..
    <ID:0/005> SingleDownload.
    <ID:0/005> recovery.img
    <ID:0/005> FAIL! (Auth)
    <ID:0/005>
    <ID:0/005> Complete(Write) operation failed.
    <OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)
    <OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 0)

Linux User
    Participant

I’m trying to use Odin to flash my custom recovery.

however, this is the output from Odin…?

<ID:0/005> Odin engine v(ID:3.1205)..
    <ID:0/005> File analysis..
    <ID:0/005> SetupConnection..
    <ID:0/005> Can’t open the serial(COM) port.
    <OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)
    <OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 0)

I bought this phone used and it was unlocked from a metro dealer.

Any thoughts?

Linux User
    Participant

I use samsung galaxy grand dous. Unfortunately by mistake, I have attempted three back-to-back to install recovery, while I was using stock rom. Later, found that I had succeed in each attempt but misunderstood Volume up and down key. And more unfortunate case was finally while I caught that and entered i recovery mode but not twrp but in cwm recovery (my last trial was cwm recovery).

I wipe data/factory reset, cache partition, dalvik cache

(shown:{E:unknown volume for path [/sd-ext]
    dalvik cache wiped})

and finally formated /system as instructed to install custom rom.

Than I, install from sd card zip named- cm-14.0-20161023-UNOFFICIAL-i9082

(shown: {Warning: No file_contestsTarget: samsung/baffixx/baffin:4.2.2/JDQ39/I9082XXUBMJ1:user/release-keys
    detected filesystem ext4 for /dev/block/mmcblk0p19
    detected filesystem ext4 for /dev/block/mmcb1kop21
    patching system unconditionally…
    E:unknown command [log]
    E:unknown command [log]
    detected filesystem ext4 for /dev/block/mmcb1k0p19
    script succeeded: result was [1.000000]
    Install from sdcard complete.})

finally install gaap nano from sd card, which was installed just fine without wrong info.

But finally as i reboot, my phone got stuck in starting screen in samsung galaxy grand GT-I9082 and does not go forward.

How can I solve this problem, I need suggestions please guys.

Linux User
    Participant

[quote quote=23944]
    How can I solve this problem, I need suggestions please guys.
    [/quote]

I suspect that you have a very old recovery installed on the phone.
    Can you try the latest LineageOS 14.1 for Grand DUOS and flash the TWRP and the ROM given in that link and let me know how it goes for you ??

Linux User
    Participant

shibaa

thanks shibaa for your reply, you might be right. But now main problem is that I am stuck with CWM recovery only and I dont know how to flash TWRP from CWM, If you kindly provide me a step by step guide about how to install latest TWRP flash from CWM recovery that would be very helpful. Odin seems not find the phone anymore.

By the way I also tried to install lineage-14.1-20170607-UNOFFICIAL-i9082 from CWM recovery it also failed.

Linux User
    Participant

[quote quote=23963]I dont know how to flash TWRP from CWM, If you kindly provide me a step by step guide about how to install latest TWRP flash from CWM recovery that would be very helpful. Odin seems not find the phone anymore.
    [/quote]

You don’t need to flash the TWRP using the CWM as of now.

Download the TWRP for Grand DUOS and then follow this guide.

If Odin is unable to find your phone then it could be a problem updating to a latest recovery. Can you share what error you get or what’s really happening when you connect the phone to Odin in download mode??

If you are unable to flash through Odin then download this recovery flashable TWRP zip for Grand Duos and flash this TWRP using the CWM recovery that you have right now.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.