The latest, LineageOS 18 for Pixel 2 is now available from an unofficial build which is brought to you by developer eamo5. LineageOS 18 is the latest build which is based on the latest available Android 11 update.
This post explains how to install LineageOS 18 on Pixel 2, in a step-by-step guide.
Donation to Developer(s)
LineageOS 18 development and porting is a voluntary work! If you want this project keep going, please contribute to the developer(s) and the LineageOS project.
– Donate to eamo5
– Donate to LineageOS project
This is an initial build of LineageOS 18 for Pixel 2 which has many BUGs. So, backup your current firmware to go back if something goes wrong!
Download LineageOS 18 for Pixel 2
Below is the direct download link to the latest build of LineageOS 18 for Pixel 2.
There are two build of LineageOS 18 for the Pixel 2, one with GApps and one without.
Select the dropdown box to download the desired build and then follow the instructions (written below) to update the Pixel 2 to LineageOS 18.
Other Requirements to Install LineageOS 18 on Pixel 2
To be able to install any Android 11 ROM build on the phone, it must have an unlocked bootloader and a compatible custom recovery installed.
So, to make it easier for you, we have included appropriate guides on how to unlock bootloader and install recovery in the below sections.
In addition, the custom ROMs usually lack any Google Apps like: Google Play, Google Maps, etc. out of the box. So, the post installation requiremnt is, GApps for Android 11.
Pixel 2 LineageOS 18 System Build Information (latest build)
Unable to extract the build info at this moment!
Will be updated soon
– Active Edge (support will not be added as it’s proprietary to Google which may lead to legal action against LineageOS team if added!)
– Conversation bubbles
How to Update Pixel 2 to LineageOS 18 (Android 11)?
To install LineageOS 18 on a phone, it must have a custom recovery, which in turn, requires an unlocked bootloader.
This is the reason the entire installation guide is divided into three parts as below:
- Unlocking bootloader of Pixel 2
- Installing Custom Recovery on the phone
- Finally, installing LineageOS 18 ROM
Unlock Bootloader on Pixel 2
Follow this guide to unlock bootloader on Pixel 2. A step-by step guide that explains how to unlock bootloader of Pixel 2.The bootloader must be unlocked on the phone before you can flash a custom recovery and the LineageOS 18 ROM!
Install custom recovery on Pixel 2
Custom recoveries are needed to flash any of these Android custom ROMs on Pixel 2. Below is a list of step-by step guides that explains how to install custom recovery such as TWRP or OrangeFox recovery on Pixel 2.
- TWRP for Pixel 2 – Follow this guide that explains how to Install TWRP
Install LineageOS 18 on Pixel 2
- Download the LineageOS 18 ROM for Pixel 2 and copy it into the phone or keep in the PC, if you intend to install it using ADB sideload.
- Enter into recovery mode (TWRP, Lineage or any other recovery) and then Wipe the data, Cache, System and clean Dalvik cache.
– Make sure you don’t wipe or format Internal memory here. Otherwise you will lose all your phone data!– This step will erase the current firmware and probably all the data stored in the phone. You can choose to keep a backup of all the files and the boot and system partition so that you can rollback if the new build doesn’t work properly.
- Install LineageOS 18 using TWRP recovery or any custom recovery of your choice
Use ADB Sideload to install the LineageOS 18 on Pixel 2.
You can use any one of the above mentioned method to install the zip file on the phone.
- Once done, reboot the phone to boot into LineageOS 18 on Pixel 2 which is based on Android 11.
After installing the LineageOS 18 ROM you are good to go with the phone. But, there are few add-on packages that you can install to get the most out of your phone!
Below are some of the extra little things which you can install on top of the LineageOS 18 ROM on your Pixel 2.
You can either follow this Android 11 Rooting guide or the Magisk rooting guide to enable root on Pixel 2 LineageOS 18 ROM.
Google Camera or shortened as GCam, usually brings better images on your existing camera setup.
Search a compatible Google Camera in the Android 11 GCam page for your phone that may run on this LineageOS 18 ROM.
Also, visit the Pixel 2 (walleye) page to get other Android 11 ROMs or other device specific topics.