The latest Android 11 is released and the same is now available for OnePlus 6 via an Android 11 custom ROM build. This is a step-by-step guide that explains how to update OnePlus 6 to Android 11.
Other Requirements to Install Android 11 ROM on OnePlus 6
To be able to install any Android 11 ROM build on the phone, it must have an unlocked bootloader and a compatible custom recovery installed.
So, to make it easier for you, we have included appropriate guides on how to unlock bootloader and install recovery in the below sections.
Plus, the custom ROMs usually lack any Google Apps like: Google Play, Google Maps, etc. out of the box. So, the post installation requiremnt is, GApps for Android 11, which is also included in the below guide.
How to Update OnePlus 6 Android 11?
Installing Android 11 requires an unlocked bootloader and a custom recovery installed on the phone. This is the reason the entire installation guide is divided into three parts as below:
- Unlocking bootloader on the phone
- Installing Custom Recovery on the phone
- Installing the Android 11 ROM on the phone
Unlock Bootloader on OnePlus 6
OnePlus 6 bootloader unlock guide. A step-by step guide that explains how to unlock bootloader of OnePlus 6.
Install custom recovery on OnePlus 6
Custom recoveries are needed to flash any of these Android custom ROMs on OnePlus 6. Below is a list of step-by step guides that explains how to install custom recovery such as TWRP or OrangeFox recovery on OnePlus 6.
Install Android 11 on OnePlus 6
- Download one of the available Android 11 ROM for OnePlus 6 and copy it into the phone or keep in the PC if you intend to install using ADB sideload.
- Enter into recovery mode and Wipe data, Cache, System and clean Dalvik cache.
– Make sure you don’t wipe or format Internal memory here. Otherwise you will lose all your phone data!
- Install Android 11 using TWRP recovery
Use ADB Sideload to install the Android 11 ROM zip file.
- Download and Install Android 11 GApps for this ROM.
- Once done, reboot the OnePlus 6 Android 11 update.
Well, after installing the Android 11 zip file you are done with the Android 11 installation for your phone. But, there are few add-on packages that you can install to unleash the real capabilities of your phone.
Below are some of the extra little things which you can install on top of the Android 11 ROM on your OnePlus 6.
Visit the OnePlus 6 (enchilada) page to get other Android 11 ROMs or other device specific topics.