In order to install LineageOS or TWRP or root your Mi Note 10 Lite, you need to unlock the bootloader of your phone. In this post, I am presenting a step-by-step guide to unlock the bootloader of Mi Note 10 Lite.
Unlocking the bootloader may void the warranty of your device and erase all user data. So, make sure that you are out of the warranty period or you are sure about what you are doing with your device. Also, make sure to backup all important data out of the phone.
What is a Bootloader and why is it locked?
In computing, the startup process of a device is called as boot-up. During this boot-up process, the device is unusable by the user until it boots-up completely.
A boot-loader is a piece of software that loads other software(s) during the boot-up process. In Android, this bootloader is locked to make sure no-one can alter what is being loaded by this bootloader.
Usually, a user can install software only after the boot process is complete, and when the device is ready to use. So, basically the bootloader software is not something that is meant for the user but to run the device. If not secured, the user may alter the boot-up process leaving the device unusable.
Locking the bootloader ensures that the software integrity of the phone is trusted, meaning it has not been modified from the stock and hence used to provide or discard warranty, etc.
Before Unlocking the Bootloader
Once you understand what is the bootloader and want to unlock it on your Mi Note 10 Lite then below are the few things that you need to do first.
- 30% or more battery charge (just to be on the safe side)
- Register for Mi Account (you might have already done it on your phone or you can do it now)
- A Windows PC with an internet connection
- Download the MiFlash Unlock Tool (only available for Windows)
Now, How to Unlock bootloader on your Mi Note 10 Lite?
- First, enable Developer Options which is hidden.
To enable developer options go to Settings > About Phone > Tap 7-8 times on MIUI Version to unlock the developer options
- Then enable the OEM unlocking and USB debugging options which are inside Developer Options settings.
Go to Settings > Additional Settings > Developer Options scroll down a bit and first enable OEM Unlocking and then scroll a little bit down and enable USB Debugging
- Add your Mi Note 10 Lite to the Mi Unlock Status
The Unlock status page will look like the below image when locked and when unlocked –Go to Settings > Additional Settings > Developer Options > Mi Unlock status and add your Mi account to your Mi Note 10 Lite
- Now unzip the MiFlash Unlock tool zip file that you have downloaded earlier (if not download it now and unzip) and run the MiUsbDriver.exe file to install the USB driver required for your Mi Note 10 Lite bootloader unlock.
- Then from the same folder run the miflash_unlock.exe program.Read the disclaimer carefully and Agree to the terms and conditions to proceed.
- Then sign-in to the Mi account.
– Enter your registered mobile phone number and then click on the Get verification code button to get a verification code.
– Enter the verification code and then click on the Sign in/Sign up button.There are only 3 attempts allowed in 24 hours of time. So, be careful while using this.
- The tool will verify for the permissions on your Mi account and take you to the next screen where it will ask you to connect the phone to the PC.
- Boot the phone into Fastboot mode and then connect to the PC using a USB cable.Here the phone must be in Fastboot mode or otherwise known as bootloader mode.
To boot into the fastboot mode first power off the Mi Note 10 Lite and then press and hold Volume Down and Power button together till you see the fastboot screen on the phone.
- Once connected the Unlock button on the application will be activated. Click on the Unlock button to start the bootloader unlock process of your Mi Note 10 Lite.
The software application may take a while to unlock the bootloader on your Mi Note 10 Lite. If done correctly then your phone will have an unlocked bootloader after a few seconds.
Troubleshooting, if Failed to unlock Bootloader
Sometimes the MiFlash Unlock tool shows a failed message only at 99% of processing. or if the tool is not able to detect your phone at all etc. The following could be the reasons to looks at –
- See if you have installed the USB drivers correctly and it does show in the device manager of Windows OS when you connect the phone in fastboot mode
- or See if you have put your phone in Fastboot mode or not while connecting to the PC
- Verify if you have enabled USB debugging and OEM unlock and linked your phone to Mi Unlock status
- Verify if your account has unlocked permissions.
- If everything is alright but still it fails, then contact the Xiaomi support team or you can use their forum to seek support on your case.
Well, that’s all on how to unlock bootloader on Mi Note 10 Lite. If you face any kind of issue while following this guide, then just leave a reply here to get a response back.